Wednesday, November 12, 2008

16 years - 16 years 11 months

1. Think about your teen’s cognitive strengths and weaknesses and how they are reflected in his or her school grades and activities from 14-16 years of age. What careers or courses of study might be best suited to your teen’s abilities and interests?
Peyton is very good at English, Science, and Math. English and Science have been her strengths for quite some time now and I think in the long run could come of good use. Some career options that I think she might find interesting is because she loves reading and writing so much maybe she could go into some kind of journalism type major. Because she loves science and has taken to a new liking of Physics I think that maybe she could become a doctor or a nurse or something in that nature. Those are the types of careers that I think Peyton would enjoy doing, but in the end it’s up to Peyton and what she wants to do with the rest of her life.

2. How important have your teen’s relationships with peers been to his/her social development, emotional well-being and school achievement from 14-16 years of age?
As far as her friends, it seems like she’s able to get out enough to where she’s not an introvert, she likes to go to parties, go camping, or taking trips and stuff like that. I think it’s been good for her to explore these new adventures and it has also helped her become more independent. She has had a couple of problems with a bully that wasn’t being nice to her and picking on her, but so far she has been handling that situation very well and it doesn’t seem to be bugging her all that much. She’s doing very well in school and I don’t think the relationships that she has made have had a bad impact on her when it comes to schooling. She seems to have a very stable emotional well-being and overall seems happy and positive.

3. How has your teen adjusted at 14-16 years of age to typical adolescent issues such as risk-taking, drugs, alcohol, and sexual interests, and how have you responded to your teen?
Unfortunately, I have to deal with all these issues with her. One night she came home and she smelled like marijuana and I asked her if she had any, but I could tell that she was lying and I grounded her for a week because she knows better than that. Another night she was at a party and ended up calling my partner to come and pick her up, but he called me and I went to pick up, again I grounded her and took away some driving privileges because as long as she is under my roof that kind of behavior will not be tolerated. She has also been dating someone for 2 months and has said that she’s in love and has been showing signs of either having sex or wanting to have sex. I dealt with this situation with informing her on what my beliefs are and that I trust that she will make the right decision and that I have taught her good morals and values.

2 comments:

Colleen Mullendore said...

Sounds like we both have had the same situations to deal with and we both responded the same way. It makes me think that in real life most people with a fair amount of intelligence parent the same ways.

Anonymous said...

My daughter also loves to go camping and hiking. We should get them together.