Tuesday, November 4, 2008

14 years - 14 years 11 months

1. What activities and experiences at age 12 and 14 years has your teen been involved in that might promote healthy behavioral practices, physical fitness and skill in sports?
I think that it’s good that Peyton is hanging around her friends, for me personally I think that’s healthy for her. When she’s in a bad mood, I ask her if she wants to take a walk with me and usually she says yes and then ends up talking about whatever is bothering her the whole time we are walking. Not only is she getting exercise, but she’s also talking about her feelings and not bottling them up. At this point in her with just starting high school and everything she’s just getting use to everything so at this point she’s not really interested in sports. I think that might change soon though.

2. Have there been any changes in your teen’s behavior toward you or your partner? Why are these occurring and how are you responding?
It’s kind of been on and off type of a thing. She likes to talk to me when I don’t push her to talk. She likes to spend time with me and has told me that I am more supportive and approved of her than other parents are towards their kids. She also mentioned that I was more strict than the other parents; however, that wasn’t really a complain, at least I didn’t take it as that. Peyton does still have her ups and downs when it comes to moods, but that’s just when I give her space and then after some time has passed she usually comes to me to talk about whatever it was that was bothering her.

3. Do you see any examples of how cognitive and physical changes in early adolescence (ages 12-14) relate to your teen's social or emotional behavior?
The only changes I have seen lately is that she’s more moody. Because she is going through puberty and she is also in Middle School right now and there’s a huge change right there. Going from elementary school to Middle School, it’s scary and there is a lot to get use to. Peyton is staying pretty consistent with her behaviors since she was kid. There’s really nothing new to report on this part of her life right now.

3 comments:

Emily Paterson said...

It is really cool that she likes to talk to you and feels safe doing so. My teenager is a boy, and he doesn't talk too much. Sometimes. He shoots basketball hoops when he is in a foul mood, so that is an activity that takes his mind off his attitude.

Sabine said...

My boy said the same thing that I am more supportive and approved of him than other parents but I am also more strict than others. I am a huge believer in good communication, just as my parents communicated well with me. Looks like we have some similar ways of discipline and childrearing.

Pam said...

My son said I was supportive of him too. It's nice when they notice!