Tuesday, September 9, 2008

12 Months to 19 Months Old...

1. Describe and give examples of changes in your child’s exploratory or problem solving behavior from 8 through 18 months and categorize them according to Piagetian and information processing theories. Note that 8 months is included, so you'll need to use the time-line to look back at 8 months for examples.
In this particular area Peyton seems to be a slow learner. She likes to repeat the same things and doesn’t seem to get bored very quickly. She did this when we would play hide-n-go-seek with things. She would look in the same places because she thought that’s where they would be located because that’s where she found them another time. It takes her a little bit to change and go on to something new, I think in this area she is a little lagging in where she should be at. Every where else in her learning and development seems to be relatively normal.

2. Analyze your baby’s temperament in more detail at 18 months than you did at 8 months. How would you describe your baby in terms of the five aspects of temperament utilized by the Virtual Child program (activity, sociability, emotionality, aggressiveness vs. cooperativeness, and self control)? Has Peyton's temperament been stable over the first 18 months? A blurb defining and providing examples of the five aspects of temperament is provided at 12 months, but you should seek out further explanations of temperament from your textbook. Explain how the concept of goodness of fit (also discussed in the blurb on infant temperament) applies to your interactions with your child.
Peyton likes to have a lot of activity; however, she is having some trouble interacting with other kids and adults that she is not familiar with. For the most part she is emotionally stable, but can get frustrated after a while. This has been pretty consistent and I’m not sure exactly how to get her out of this funk. She doesn’t get aggressive or anything, she just gets temperamental at times, especially when she’s frustrated. She will cooperate just fine for both me and my husband (I don’t know who that is...he’s virtual too...haha) and strange adults. She has pretty good self-control and plays well when she is by herself. It takes her a little bit more time to warm up to other kids, but it seems like she will play with them just fine when she does. I’m going to have to work with her a little bit with not being so attached me. Hopefully I’ll make some good decisions throughout the next couple of months to help with that.

3. Were you surprised by anything in the developmental assessment at 19 months? That is, does your perception of your child's physical, cognitive, language and social development differ from that of the developmental examiner? Give specific examples. If you were not surprised, write instead about some aspects of your child's development that need the most work.
I tried to make better choices on what to do to help her and get her out of some of the bad habits that she got use to. The choices that I made to try and help didn’t seem to get it better. I’m not really surprised because even though this is a virtual child, these are some of the behaviors that I actually went through when I was little. My mom told me these things and I was really shy when I was young. I would really like to work on her social skills and getting to be more interactive with other kids and adults. I think this could be improved if I give her a little bit of a push to get to know more people and get use to it.

6 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erika Sword said...

I agree, these questions are really life like. It's very exciting but at the same time it's nerve racking because it effects your child, virtual or not. Sometimes I would even do a mixture of a few of the answers. It's weird how accurate some of it is those. You're right, these things do come up in real life. Good luck with getting your child to branch out. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Gina said...

my daughter was also repeating the same things when it came to hide and go seek. At about 15 mo. she outgrew that and the game became do much fun as I was able to make it more challenging for her and se really enjoys it.

Daniel Justus said...

In the beginning I had the same issues with my child, but i opted to continue playing the game with her and getting her involved. Eventually she was able to find the toys in different locations so the hard work payed off. Good luck

DG said...

Hi this whole virtual child thing has been fun. It's cool to watch them develop. I also agree the questions are life like.

Samantha Smith said...

Peyton sounds just like my little Aiden. He has the same issues with not warming up to others very fast and enjoys doing solo activities. Aiden did grow out of the loosing interest in finding the toy game. He now loves to play and even if he cant fnd the toy right away he does keep looking. Hopefully our little ones will grow out of this phase and become budding little people and will embrace meeting new people and adusting to new situations as well. Good Luck!